The CSN Saint Lucia and Caribbean technical assistance project was launched on the 17 of October 2018 at 09.00 Hrs at the Harbor Club Hotel, Compass Room in Rodney Bay.
About 40 persons attended which included the SLBS members of the Standard Council, the CSN Project Steering Committee members, the Director and selected members of SLBS staff, UK government representative, the Minister of the Department of Commerce, Industry, Investment, Enterprise Development and Consumer Affairs, CROSQ representative, the team leader, BSI project Director and Manager and members of the press and television news.
A handout was printed and all participants were provided with one, the handout included the Agenda, a general description of the CSN Programme and the team leader power point presentation explaining the objectives and strategy to meet these for the technical assistance.
The Head of the Information Services Department of SLBS Mrs. Vernet St. Omer Fontenelle was the master of ceremonies throughout the event and introduced each speaker. There were 6 speakers and the order was as follows:
- The Director of the SLBS welcomed every one and introduced the project
from the perspective of the SLBS and concluded by stating that SLBS should be:
- Be an effective and efficient fit for purpose organisation;
- Improve the competitiveness of the economic operators;
- Contribute to the safety and quality of products/services;
- Provide support to the NQI, SME’s and overall economy of Saint Lucia.
- The Minister of the Department of Commerce (short name) gave a speech; the speech can be read here.
- The British Resident Commissioner in Saint Lucia gave a speech; this speech can be read here.
- BSI Project Director gave a speech, this speech can be read here and addressed the
- Who is BSI, BSI International projects and their experience in delivering this project;
- What is the CSN and what are the expected outcomes;
- The work streams and activities
- The three technical assistance work streams e.g. Saint Lucia and the Caribbean, Africa (Zambia and Uganda) and Oceania (Vanuatu and Papua New Guinea);
- CROSQ Representative gave a speech, the speech can be read here .
- The Team Leader of the project gave a speech which this speech can be
read here :
- Identified the objectives of the project;
- Described the strategy of the project to fulfil the objectives;
- Described the need to work closely with CROSQ on the regional objectives of the NQI;
- Informed about the 6 components of the project e.g. NQI, Legal Approximation, Standardisation, Certification, Standards Awareness and Metrology and the activities associated with these and how these aligned with CROSQ regional objectives.
- The Chair of the Standards Council closed the event.
Agenda of the Launch
CSN Project Launch
Harbor Club Hotel
Compass Room 5th Floor
17 October 2018
09.00 – 09.30 Registration
Introductions SLBS Head of Information Department
09.30 – 09.45 Mr. V. Emmanuel Director SLBS, Welcome
09.45 – 10.00 Hon. J. Bradley Felix, Minister Department of Commerce, Industry, Investment, Enterprise Development and Consumer Affairs
10.00 – 10.15 Mr. Steve McCready, Resident British Commissioner
10.15 – 10.30 Mr. R. Taylor, Director Standards Market Development at BSI Group
10.30 – 10.55 Mr. D.A.Tomlinson, CROSQ
10.45 – 11.15 Mr. C. Barker, Team Leader Commonwealth Standards Network – Saint Lucia and Caribbean Project.
11.15 – 11.20 Mr. T. Edmund, Chairman SLBS Standards Council – Closing address.
Visibility of the Event and Project
The SLBS website and Facebook were used to disseminate the information concerning the launch, see the links below.
The press and television were invited to attend and the following newscasts were aired in the evening news of Saint Lucia, see the links below.
News paper clipping: The Saint Lucia Mirror dated Saturday October 20, 2018 see here